Actions You Can Take

 
  • Print out the one-page Visitability flier and distribute it at conferences, meetings, public bulletin boards, and wherever else you can plant the idea.
  • Use the Web to promote Visitability through your emails, your own website, and Web sites whose content you may be able to influence.
  • Order the 15-minute Concrete Change videotape on the why’s and how’s of Visitability, and the shorter Intro to Visitability Power Point, and show them to legislators, AARP chapters, builders, civic groups, friends and neighbors.
  • Initiate a city, county, or state ordinance (See examples under “Legislative Policy Strategies”). It’s hard work, but it’s worth it — even the efforts that fail to pass raise awareness.
  • Check and see if your local Habitat for Humanity affiliate is building every new home with access, whether or not the occupant has a disability. If not, lobby them to start doing so. A number of affiliates are already doing so, and in fact Habitat International specifically recommends this on their website and other material.
  • If your Public Housing Authority is building new single-family homes or townhouses, urge them to go beyond the 5% of accessible units required by law and put basic access (Visitability) in the other 95%.
  • Your idea here: ____________________________________ (tell us about it!).

For builders, architects and others in the home building industry

Take the plunge! Do the right thing! Don’t wait for a law. Put basic access into all the homes you design or build in your next development.
Provide leadership in your community and your profession Create home-building policies and practices that don’t just rely on more “senior housing” but make it possible for people to age in place, and integrate mobility-impaired people of all ages into the community.

For Planners, Office Holders, foundation boards and Other Policy Makers

Intiate or actively support legislation. In the meantime, evaluate all housing programs that disperse funds involving housing and make Visitability a requirement for entities or individuals who apply to be part of those programs. For example, Livable Communities Initiatives disperse millions of dollars of funds throughout the USA.